Friday 7 January 2011

Snow, bloody snow.

I love snow, when it starts snowing I feel like I'm a five-year-old going out to the front of the house with the snow shovel to make a snowman. It's a glorious white happy Ben making substance, who needs cocaine?

However when it follows Sod's Law I being to get a little bit annoyed. Don't get me wrong the skier in me is still as deliriously happy as the five-year-old, but it's jading a little when it crops up at the wrong moment every week. In this case, it's reappearing every time I want to make a journey in the car.

I spent four hours in the centre of Birmingham going nowhere a few weeks ago, if I'd been alone I'm pretty sure I'd have gone mad and battered my way out using my Toyota Aygo as a useless battering-ram against the buses that surrounded me. Today I wish to travel down to Oundle to make the journey down to London for the Leeds v Arsenal game less of a hassle. What do I find when I wake up. Snow. Not just the snow we got when I was a kid that looked hard but never settled, leaving you feeling like you'd just had the winning lottery ticket waved in your face for a few seconds before it was snatched away. No, this snow settles, and fast. There was an inch before I could even get out there to move my car to the bottom of the hill.

At times like this I try to take solace in the fact that those around me seem to panic. The sight of a BMW with chains only on the front wheels (it's a rear-wheel drive car) is one that fills me with amusement. That is until I remember I have to get on the roads with these people. The people who crawl along at 2 miles an hour when there isn't much snow around causing massive tailbacks. The people who try the opposite, desperately revving their engine as the wheels of their Volvo just spin and they go nowhere. It's mildly terrifying.

So please, could we all just keep our heads today? It's not the snow that causes the chaos on the roads, it's us. The panicking, the lack of knowledge, they all lead to crashes and tailbacks. Next time it snows, just Google 'how to drive in snow' and suddenly your life will be so much easier. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment