Thursday 27 January 2011

Right, here goes nothing.

If you follow me on twitter, or know me in any way, you’ll know I’m unemployed and very bored at the moment. So as part of my boredom relieving process, as well as sporadic moments of cleaning the flat, I’ve decided to listen to every album on Q Magazine’s 250 albums of the last 25 years.

I like my music, always have done, I’m fortunate enough to like quite a wide range of music. I’m not a hardened music nut, because of that this is going to be quite an experience for me, but I’m determined to do it. I figure it might also inspire some writing as well and give me something else to do. So I’m going to try and write at least a little about each album when I’ve listened to it. I hope you feel like reading what I write.

So here goes. The first album to tick off the list (I have made a list, it’s real) is Bring It On by Gomez. It’s an album I’m not familiar with, in fact the only thing the words ‘bring it on’ do to me is make me think of Kirsten Dunst in a cheerleading costume. The album hails from 1998, when I was 11, so it’s not overly surprising that I hadn’t indulged in it before given I didn’t really start buying CDs on any scale until I was 16.

It’s a beautiful album, never straying above a tempo you can describe as gentle. More than one member of the band, not just in terms of backing a lead singer but who the lead is, provides the vocals. It’s a bluesy jaunt through pyschedelia at times, as if Beck had met a few clones of himself and decided to stick to one type of music.

For me the single Whippin’ Piccadilly stands out, starting off as a jaunty acoustic number before being overwhelmed with what could almost be described as an acid trip of synthetic sounds. The album rapidly returns to the acoustic nature of the start with Make No Sound. It’s a pattern that’s repeated throughout, acoustic guitar being overlayed by synthetic sounds and jazz. While musically upbeat throughout you can feel a tinge of depression in the lyrics there’s some pain in here as well as beauty.

I’m going to listen to it again, but this is a one-listen task in terms of reviewing so here’s where we end. Mostly cause I can’t remember any more from it. I like it, it’s a perfect Sunday afternoon record. Beautifully put together to waft you through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment