Friday 4 February 2011

Short, sweet

So yesterday I forged on through two more albums, only 240 to go, Ben Folds Five’s 1997 album Whatever and Ever Amen and PJ Harvey’s 2000 million seller Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea.

Both are new to me, PJ Harvey in terms of never having bothered to see what the fuss was all about before and BFF (as I shall not moniker them) out of complete ignorance. After a little struggle to find Whatever and Ever Amen, Spotify lists it as being by Ben Folds, I pressed play without looking into what kind of music I was about to listen to.

Not too sure how I can put my reaction, other than the fact that it made me grin. I love this record. It’s a beautifully woven piece of pop music set over a jazz piano background. It’s incredibly upbeat from the start, the hooks immediately sit nicely in the ear, never annoyingly catchy, just nice to listen to. It’s the upbeat songs that leave their mark, the ballads aren’t up to the same standard, other than the magnificent single Brick. 20 songs slipped by faster than anything so far on the list, I was hooked.

I loved it, the only way I can get across to you what it is is to tell you to go and listen to it. Now, no your work is less important than this, go listen.

As for PJ Harvey I’m sure if I give the album a few more tries it’ll worm its way into my brain, but after about 7 tracks I found myself wondering when it would end. I won’t rush back to have another listen I don’t really know how to describe it other than to say that in a one listen review it didn’t do enough to instantly grab me.

(couldn’t be bothered to write more)

No comments:

Post a Comment